Date of approval
4 years (2020 – 2024)
- Adaptation Fund
- Burkina Faso
Main beneficiaries of the project
Regional Implementation Unit ( Autonomous structure sheltered by the OSS).
Na tional Implementation Units
- Benin: The National Center for the Management of Wildlife Reserves (CENAGREF)
- Burkina Faso: The National Office for Protected Areas (OFINAP)
- Niger: The General Directorate of Water and Forestry (DGEF)
- The local populations and local authorities at the level of the W, Arly and Pendjari parks.
- The technical services of the ministerial departments in charge of the environment of the three countries
- Local professional organizations
- Professional women's organizations at the local level
- Local NGOs
- Local Civil Society
Strengthening the resilience of ecosystems and improving the living conditions of the WAP complex populations to cope with climate change through an all-risk early warning system relating to droughts, floods and fires, and the implementation of concrete adaptation measures to manage such emergencies.
- Cimate and its risks are integrated in the management tools of the Complex;
- The multi-risk early warning system is used by the beneficiaries to manage emergencies (A system made of a set of monitoring mechanisms that collects information on climate hazards so that populations are made aware in advance and timely and coordinated actions are taken (drought, flood and bushfires);
- The resilience of populations and ecosystems is improved through concrete adaptation measures;
- The living conditions of the populations are diversified and improved;
- The relevant operators are mobilized and made aware through appropriate communication and capacity building.
The project has been approved by the Adaptation Fund and is officially being implemented since April 2020.
- Oversee the project implementation as a Regional Implementation Entity to the Adaptation Fund, collect the funds and have them dispatched to the beneficiary countries through the Project Regional Executing Unit,
- Host the Regional Executing Unit in charge of coordinating the project activities.
- First contacts with the different and relevant national institutions and structures in the three countries (due diligence procedure and reviewing the conditions for entry into force of the project (OSS)
- Organization of an information, awareness-raising and planning mission for the 2020 activities with all stakeholders as well as on the terms of the project activities' execution and coordination (Project Regional Executing Unit);
- Organization of the 'teleconference' start-up workshop to present and validate the priority activities to be carried out at the regional level, April 21, 2020;
- Organization of the first 'teleconference' meeting of the Steering Committee to present the Annual Work Plans and Budgets (AWPBs) as well as the Procurement Plans (PPs) to the Committee for approval, April 22, 2020;
- Development of the ToRs and start of the main regional studies (Complex Adaptation Plan and Design of the Multi-Risk Early Warning System (MR-EWS).